Monday, November 29, 2010

Cancun

I took a cab from my hotel to a market in downtown Cancun called Mercado 28. I wasn't in the mood to shop but wanted to check it out. There were 200+ little stalls of shops in this outdoor market. It was tough to walk through. Every shop owner wanted me to go into their shop and check out their goods. It was frustrating and they tested my patience. I found myself only walking into the shops where I wasn't being bothered or talked to.

After about twenty minutes I was over it. I decided I didn't want to spend another $20 on a short cab ride. So I asked an info desk at the market how to take a bus to the hotel zone. By this time it was already dark, and I got lost trying to find the bus. Dealt with some whistling and uncomfortable moments, but the people that I asked for help with directions were nice. I'm not sure I was in the best area to be wandering around as there were no other tourists or pedestrians, but I was determined to get there the local way.

The hotel zone is a strip between the ocean and lagoon full of high-rise hotels. I didn't get to see the view unfortunately. I got a little lost trying to find my new friends and their hotel, but once I did we all hopped in a cab and headed to dinner. It was a fun night with great food and margaritas.

I miss the sun already but it's good to be home.

P.S. I didn't get sick! I ate and drank everything I wanted to. The only major precaution I took was to brush my teeth with bottled water.

No comments:

Post a Comment