Friday, November 15, 2013

Atomium

This morning I headed straight to Atomium, which was built for the 1958 World's Fair. It's actually the cover image of my World's Fair coffee table book. It was cool to see. You can go into 5 of the 9 balls or 'atoms' via stairs and escalators, one being the top and a panoramic view (which kindly has an elevator). I followed the audio guide tour, which was pretty informative.

Afterwards I took the metro back to the center of town and went into the Cathedral. I got lost and turned around trying to find the Comic Strip Museum. I had no idea that the Smurfs were from here, or several others for that matter. I think Tintin is the most famous. Speaking of which, I also didn't know that Belgium was known for lace. Love how much I learn when traveling. Anyways, once I found the museum, it was approaching the closing of lunch hours (usually around 2:30pm), so I decided to skip the museum and head towards TheePot, which is supposedly the best vegetarian meal in town. The map does say that it's not very inviting and it's hard to find. I found both to be true, but the meal was delicious. It was buffet only, but so so good. It was by far the healthiest meal I've had since I've been in Europe, which made me happy. It was probably the most local meal I've had as well, no other tourists were in there, which was nice.

Afterwards I strolled back through Grand Place and bought some chocolates at Godiva and Neuhaus. This evening I plan on staying near my hostel and recharging my batteries, both literally and figuratively. Heading to meet up with Jenna and Sophie in Paris tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment