Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Bruxelles

The train ride from London to Brussels was quite fast. Especially since I didn't realize there was a time change. Weather thus far has been similar to that in England. I've had a few daydreams of sitting on a couch by a roaring fireplace. Am still looking for that to become a reality.

Arrviving at Brussels Midi I was immediately confused, which was fun. London was very easy to get around, which was great, but there is something exciting about not knowing the language and getting turned around. A Brit stood next to me by the metro ticket machine and we figured out how to get those tickets together. I then took a tram to the Rogier stop and walked to my hostel. I am fabulously the only person in my room.

I then walked towards the Grand Place, a beautiful cobblestone square which seems to be the heart of the city. The buildings around the square, including the impressive town hall, are pretty amazing. A few hours in Belgium and my stomach already hates me. So be it. I must eat and drink everything typical Belgian while I'm here. Today I had a liege-style waffle (sugar on the inside) and a few truffles. I followed the Grand Place walk of my guidebook that circled around the main square to several spots, including the famous little boy pissing, or Manneken-Pis. The small statue was made in 1619 and there are several legends behind the little boy, but the truth is that the city commissioned the statue to show the freedom and joie de vivre of living in Brussels, where happy people eat, drink...and drink...and then pee. Which is what I did at Le Cirio (est. 1886). I enjoyed a couple of beers (Leffe and Ciney blondes) and enjoyed the company of a very nice older man who started talking to me in French. Already the Belgians have been super friendly and interested to talk to me. Perhaps I blended in too much in England, I don't know.

After my friend gave me a few stickers and pamphlets on what to see in Brussels (random) he left and I went back to my book and beer. While it's sad for me to not be able to read outside in the squares and parks this time of year, it's still fun to sit inside and take in my surroundings.

No comments:

Post a Comment