Sunday, November 10, 2013

Lots of bridges & stairs

Today was fabulous. Every minute of it.
I got up early, had a light breakfast downstairs, and headed straight to the Portobello Road market in Notting Hill. I couldn't help but think of the movie 'Notting Hill' and Hugh's travel book shop. It was fun to walk around. The market is known for its antiques but it had everything. Many of the stores on that road put a stand in front of their store, along with other vendors. I walked up and down and all I bought was a coffee. I think my recent purge-fest in my apartment has me very picky about what I purchase, which is great. I was happy to be leaving when I did as there were hoards of people on their way to the market.

I took the tube to the Bank stop and there were several police around but I didn't think too much of it. When I got to the top of the stairs there were people blocking the exit. I assumed they were waiting for the rain to let up. But it turned out to be they were waiting for the Lord Mayor's parade to start. Every year a new Lord Mayor is chosen, and this show they put on dates back to before 1535. I managed to be right across the street from where the important people were. I got to see her (Fiona Wolf) sign important looking documents and then the parade started within 5 minutes of me getting there. I couldn't have planned it better if I had tried. She's the 686th Lord Mayor of London, but only the second woman to hold the position. I learned most of this online, post parade, but I could tell from her outfit, hat waving, and that everyone in the parade was waving up at her, that she was a big deal. It sadly poured during the entire parade, but no one seemed phased. I guess it rains almost every year.

After enough parade watching for me I tried to head to the Tower of London. I got turned around, partly because of me and partly because of the parade route, so I ducked into St. Paul's Cathedral instead. It's a beautiful cathedral and I enjoyed walking up to the Rotunda. I could see the parade still going on from up there.

I then made it to the Tower of London where I walked around the entire property, learned lots of history, and got to admire the Crown Jewels. There was a guard with a fancy hat in front of the building housing the royal gems. Several people were taking photos of him, and then all of a sudden he did some stopping and changed his gun to his other hand. A little boy went running and screaming, I think he thought it was a statue. It was cute. The guard tried to hide his smile.

I then wandered over to the Tower Bridge and walked across it, walked along the "Queen's Walk" on the other side of the Thames, and then back across the London Bridge, where I had the childhood song in my head the entire time. Good thing it didn't fall down. Tower Bridge is much prettier than the London Bridge.

I couldn't get enough of these bridges, so I then walked over the Westminster Bridge after snapping a few photos of the Elizabeth Tower which holds Big Ben. I bought an evening ticket for the London Eye cause I had just seen city views from St. Paul's Catheral during the day, so thought a nighttime viewing was in order. I'm so glad I waited (sipping coffee at the Zen Cafe which is not so zen) as the view was spectacular with everything lit up. I think my favorite lighting-wise was the House of Parliament and the green lights coming from above the clock at Elizabeth Tower. After the ride I walked back on the Hungerford railway bridge which has pedestrian bridges alongside it.

Next stop was the Covent Garden neighborhood which my guidebook says has the best vegetarian restaurant. I got a workout in climbing the 193 stairs (=15 floors) from the train to the exit. There is an announcement when every train arrives that it's 193 steps and that if you have a health condition to please wait for the lift. Ha. People were taking breaks, laughing every time we heard the announcement as we were climbing, commiserating together. It was comical. Once I made it and caught my breath I wandered towards the indoor market the hood is famous for. As I was walking there I ducked into a discount theatre tickets store and scored a show for tomorrow night. The indoor market was nice, but soon after I arrived I went to find the Food for Thought restaurant, which is this tiny place that you order at the counter and can either sit in or take out. All the tables were full, so I got my veggie curry to go and went to sit on a stoop by the market. I ate and people watched. It was great; both the food and the people watching. Once I got a bit chilly I got up and started walking in Soho's direction. I passed a Havaianas store - apparently they are making rain boots now. Or maybe that's just in London. It did rain off-and-on all day. I found a bar that my guidebook recommended - Admiral Duncan. The guidebook didn't label it as a gay bar as it did others. Or even the neighborhood. But it didn't take me long to realize that's where I had planted myself. The cabaret theme, mostly male patrons, and drag DJ were clues, but I knew for sure when a guy walked into the ladies room and was shocked to see me there. That was a first. I love gay bars, but I have plenty of them in SF. Will try to find a typical British pub tomorrow. (But I did see that Admiral Duncan has karaoke on Monday's! I might be back..)I looked the bar up online because I was curious why the bouncer wanted to look in my bag. Sure enough a Neo-Nazi homophobe set off a bomb there in 1999. Sad. After I enjoyed my Pimm's Cup and IPA sitting next to the awkward old man sleeping at the bar, I headed home via Piccadilly Circus.

Walking down my street I passed a ton of important looking people in fancy outfits, several with medals. I asked the nicest policewoman where they were all coming from. Apparently the Royal British Legion just had a big something for Remembrance Day nearby, probably at Royal Albert Hall. The Queen was there and everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment