Friday, November 15, 2013

Bruges to Ghent to Brussels

I got up around 7am to use the bathroom downstairs. This is the first time, this trip, that the bathroom isn't in my room. Well, since I'm not a fair-weather blogger, I will share that I unexpectedly got sick in the bathroom. That's right. I threw up in Bruges. I knew my head hurt but didn't realize it was that bad. Oye. I went back to bed and listened to the rain.

I then got up a few hours later, checked out, but left my bag there to take in a bit more of Bruges. It had kindly stopped raining. I had breakfast at a local favorite, Li O Lait. I then went to the Basilica of the Holy Blood, and saw the dried up holy blood vial. My stomach turned a bit.

I then walked back to the hostel, picked up my bag, and asked a local "where are the swans!?" He replied - they're everywhere, they are hard to miss. I hadn't seen any and was quite disappointed. I was then told that they often hang out by Minnewater, a peaceful lake-filled park with lots of canals, which is on the way (kind of) to the train station. Sure enough I found the swans! I then couldn't figure out how to get to the train station, ended up walking through the Begijnhof (where Benedictine nuns live) which has lots of "shhh" signs as you're supposed to be quiet. No singing for me in there. After walking around in several circles I found the station and headed to Ghent.

I threw my bag in a locker (#12) at the station and took the tram to the center of town. I then followed the walking tour in my guidebook. Fun fact: the local vegetarian organization has succeeded in making schools and city services meat-free on Thursdays, which was the day I was there! Ghent has the most veggie restaurants per inhabitant in Europe.

I navigated through several squares, enjoyed the Cathedral of St. Bavo, passed the giant City Hall, walked through the little lane Werregaren Straat, which many call Graffitistraat. It's full of artwork and graffiti by the locals. The wall is always wet with new paint, and it smelled like it. Pretty smart, instead of outlawing graffiti entirely, the police designated this the place where people can express themselves and not get in trouble. I tried to eat at a guidebook recommended vegetarian restaurant, situated across the street from the Castle of the Counts, but I had just missed the lunch window. Most restaurants close in between lunch and dinner. So I got a lentil salad at a cafe instead.

Once I got back to Brussels and checked in (to a different and much nicer hostel), I made my bed and took a nap. A much longer one than I expected. I basically got up, washed up, and then went back to bed for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment