Sunday, November 10, 2013

Oh sunny day

My fellow five roommates came home last night between midnight and 6am. I know this not because they were too loud, but because I couldn't sleep. Besides my nap when I first got here I haven't slept well. But I still managed to get up at 7am to start my day. I love my transformation to being a morning person, who still can sleep in when the mood strikes. Best of both worlds really.

I enjoyed a stroll through Hyde Park with all of the morning joggers. Walked by the Princess Diana fountain and traveled on her Memorial Walk next to the Serpentine lake and through the rose garden which I imagine is beautiful other parts of the year. There were several swimmers doing laps in a designated part of the lake. One of them had a speedo on that said 'Serpentine Hunk' on the butt. I so tried to take a photo but he was walking too fast.

Yesterday when I walked through Hyde Park I saw a bunch of pigeons eating under a tree. When I looked up I saw that they were scavenging the leftovers being dropped by a flock of beautiful green parrots with long tails. I stood there and watched them for quite a while. People kept passing me and didn't look up. I was sad for them and their lack of curiosity as to what I was doing or what I was looking at. One of the parrots was so close I almost could have touched it. I've had a lot of mushy 'I'm so happy to be alive' grateful moments on this trip, and that was one of them. I looked for them today but didn't see them. Makes yesterday even more special and I'm glad I took the time to stand and admire them.

I then tubed to the east end to go to Spitalfields Market which was amazing and a joy to walk through. Much cooler than the Petticoat's Market nearby. Glanced at Mischa Barton's store (shout out to Kati & the OC) and then sat in the sun. Yes, the sun! Although it was super cold. Much colder than the last couple of days. But it was dry, all day, which was nice.

I thought about going to check out Kensington Palace but I didn't have it in me, so instead I went to Chelsea where a woman who works at the hostel said her favorite afternoon tea is located. She also said it started at 1pm. Which was not the case. It starts at 2:30pm. I walked on King's Road a bit more to soak in the feel of Chelsea and headed to the hostel for a quick nap. Which turned out to be just laying down (no sleeping), but at least I could close my eyes and rest. I ventured into Waterstone's bookstore, which is my favorite kind of store to browse in. Loved it and refrained from buying books. Proud of myself.

After my non-nap I went back to Chelsea to get my afternoon tea on. Afternoon tea is code for little sandwiches, biscuits, sweets, and tea. Not just tea in the afternoon. My afternoon tea location was at the Saatchi Mess, the restaurant of the Saatchi Gallery. Unfortunately the gallery was closed today for a private event so I couldn't check that out. But I did enjoy a fantastic afternoon tea. Even added in a glass of prosecco which was delicious. I hate to admit this but I'm having a hard time with the beer here. It's not cold enough and it's not strong enough. Hoping Belgium will be better, before I head to the wine country that is France.

After a lovely afternoon tea I wandered into a Cath Kidston store which was cute and kitschy. And then headed to Soho for my 5pm viewing of Jersey Boys! I loved it. Even got a bit emotional. Amazing what music can do. It was hard to pick which play to go see, and I'm so glad I saw that. I talked a bit to the ladies I sat next to during intermission. They live several hours outside of London and come in once a year for the weekend. I asked about the crowds - because there are many more tourists here than I was expecting for this time of year. They agreed and said it was because of the holiday. They also told me that tomorrow on 11/11 at 11am the whole country has two minutes of silence. Intrigued by that and good to know. Not that I'm talking much right now. Speaking of which - this had me laugh out loud (guffaw really) during my afternoon tea, to the point where people turned to look - "Prolonged solitary travel, you see, affects people in different ways...Some solitary travelers start talking to themselves: little silently murmured conversations that they think no one else notices. Some desperately seek the company of strangers, striking up small talk at shop counters and hotel reception desks and then lingering awkwardly after it has become clear that the conversation has finished. Some become ravenous, obsessive sightseers, tramping from sight to sight with a guidebook in a lonely quest to see everything. Me, I get a sort of interrogative diarrhea. I ask private questions for which I cannot supply an answer...like Why do they call it a grapefruit? Why do the British call them jumpers? Why when we are happy do we say that we are head over heels, when in fact our head normally is over our heels?" and he keeps going (Bryson). I have definitely done all of those things, but mainly I talk to myself or sing outloud when I'm walking around, hoping no one is watching or listening. Too funny.

Just me and one roommate tonight. He's leaving in the morning, and am hoping I'll have the room to myself tomorrow. We shall see.

Parting tidbits:
My feet are better - apparently putting the moleskin on the shoe instead of my foot helps.
I still have not purchased an item. Is it weird that I feel the need to get something here? I looked at scarves today but didn't love any of them. We shall see if I find something tomorrow to take home with me.
Going to take advantage of the NyQuil I brought and hopefully get some good shut-eye.
Cheerio!

No comments:

Post a Comment