Thursday, July 22, 2010

Have I mentioned it is hot?!

But I'm not complaining, how can I in a place like this...My fix - I took 3 cold showers yesterday.

Jenna and I had a great dinner last near the Piazza Navona, right behind the Brasilian consulate. What a huge and fabulous looking building that is, definitely had a sense of pride when I saw that.

We spent today walking around seeing some of the sites on the southeast side of Rome. We also went and got me a bus/metro pass and a Eurail pass. Jenna's guide book recommended a tourist office next to the Stazione Termini (train station where we waited in a long line to got my passes). So we went there and met a very sweet Antonio. He was quite a riot telling us about his wild night last night and how he was "moving a little slow today". So of course we asked him where the best nightlife is. It's hard though after a day of walking around in intense heat to try and stay up late. BUT I can sleep when I get home.

We booked two guided tours through Antonio - the Vatican tomorrow and then one called Ancient and Old Rome on Sunday. I've seen a few of the sites for Sunday's tour, but I'm sure it will all be a much better experience with a guide.

Antonio also recommended a lunch spot, the best meal I've had so far. But they have all been delicious.

We're thinking on Saturday to relax on the river in a pool and then heading down to Trastevere, a supposedly up & coming neighborhood. There is also an island (Isola) in the middle of the Tiber river that I am excited to check out Saturday night. Apparently you just sit on bean bags, sip vino, and stargaze.

Back to today - we couldn't enter a few of the churches, need to remember to bring my shawl type thing the next few days. Although my Vatican outfit will be legit all the way. Some of them had shawls outside that you could borrow which was nice. And OH how beautiful they are inside. The ornate gold ceilings, mosaics, and paintings. You can take photos in a lot of them, but they don't do it justice. Coolest church today was the Santa Maria Maggiore.

I will end my blog with - I got shat on by an Italian pigeon. Should have good luck by morning.

3 comments:

  1. hi, hot in sp too.
    hope this comment goes thru
    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. trying this out too - we will see if it posts. Your cats say hi, they are doing well. Love you and can't wait to hear what kind of good news the pigeon crap brought you !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im so glad you're blogging! Sounds amazing so far- Im jealous. Eat lots of pasta and drink lots of Vino! Can't wait for the next instalment :).

    ReplyDelete