Thursday, July 29, 2010

Negroni no good

Dinner last night was fun, our waiter was quite adorable after Jenna told him it was my birthday. He kept on repeating "Happy Birthday". I think he was practicing saying it. When it came time to dessert I asked him which was the better of two chocolate concoctions. He didn't reply and walked away with a smile. He brought both and treated us to them. Very nice.

Then we hit up the bar right next to our hotel. We ordered one Negroni to share, in case we didn't like it. Oh boy. It is all alcohol - Campari, Martini & Gin. Jenna took one for the team and drank it. I got a delicious Italian stout. About mid-way through our drinks I decided I wanted a birthday shot of Jager (yes, it is my favorite). Jenna refused to join me. I went back to the bar and asked the bartender if he would take a birthday shot with me. I also told him that the Negroni was intense. So he waved Jenna over, fixed her Negroni by pouring some orange juice in it, and then convinced her that they would both take half a shot of Limoncello with me. He treated us to those. These guys are nice! Dad, are you so proud right now?

Speaking of Jenna taking one for the team, she has been amazing. I ordered a dish that I assumed had no meat in it. I have learned never to assume. Luckily Jenna ordered a meatless dish so she swapped with me, even though she was really excited about her dish. And it was apparently way better than the one that I had ordered. She also lets me sit so that I never have to go backwards on the train. True friend that one.

This morning we headed to the Uffizi Gallery. Botticelli's Birth of Venus was what I was most excited about. After our audio tour we hit the cafe in the museum for a quick snack. Right before we were about to leave to head to the train station it started to downpour. I happen to love thunder storms so wasn't too bothered, except for the fact that I left my rain jacket at the hotel. We waited a bit but it wasn't letting up, so we walked back to the hotel and I got completely drenched. Jenna was more prepared with her jacket. I have to say, I a little bit enjoyed the walk. Got to the hotel, picked up my rain jacket, and it stopped raining. Too funny. Took it to Pisa with me just in case. It took us an hour by train to get to Pisa. We didn't take a guide book or map, we figured we could just follow the other tourists, which we did. It is also a pretty straight shot from the train station to the tower. We walked around for a bit, took photos of the original people posing like they are holding up the tower. Saw that you have to pay to get into everything in the square (cathedral etc). We wanted to go up the tower, until we found out it was 15 euros and the view isn't that great. On our way out we decided we should hit the bathroom. 30 cents to use it...Pisa was not my favorite, but I wasn't expecting it to be. Glad I can cross it off my list, been there done that. GOOD thing we paid those 30 cents, because it took us 3 hours to get back to Florence. Track trouble of some sort. Lots of little adventures along the way.

I can't believe it is almost 10pm, where do these days go?

Need to head to dinner. In Rome we were never worried about places closing, but Florence is very quaint, way more so than I was expecting. All of the restaurants close pretty early.

I may have to convince Jenna that we should go back to the pizza place by the Duomo. In general I don't want to go back to places, I want to also try something new - but that pizza was so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment