Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Pinch me - I'm in Rome!

Salve blog readers.

Flight to Chicago went smoothly, and just had a very short layover. Just enough time to hit the bookstore since I finished the book I hand carried on the plane. Hopefully the other 4 will be enough for the next 5 weeks.

Flight to Rome could have been disastrous crammed with another girl in the two seats with a little kid kicking our seats before take-off. Luckily the plane was quite empty, so the dad and kid behind us moved and the girl next to me did as well. Phew. I managed to cram my 5'11 self into those two seats and was horizontal most of the flight. Didn't sleep much though, I think cause I was so excited!

Landed in Rome and just followed the crowd to baqgage claim & through customs. No custom forms & they didn't even open my passport. I went to hand it to him and he just waved me through. It's my innocent looks.

Then I wandered around for a bit trying to decide if I should take the bus, train, cab, or shuttle to my hotel. I decided on the shuttle and they dropped 2 couples off before me, so I got the grand tour and was able to spot lots of the sites just during that trip. Some weren't on my list but now are! Got a little naseous, the driver had a lead foot, but was very nice.

Then I got to my hotel which I thought was on the east of the river, but not so much. I think the map on the internet a little bit lied. The hotel is closer to the Vatican. I am already realizing how small Rome is, will be able to cover lots by foot in a week, I think. I just did a big 3 hour loop looking for an internet cafe. I asked a few people and they didn't know. I was then approached by an Italian (Simòn) not from Rome, who asked me for directions! That of course made me proud, he was surprised I didn't speak Italian. I spoke Portuguese & English with him. Worked out well, he grabbed my hand and led me about a 5 minute walk to an Internet cafe. Very nice & not too scary. He then said he would come back in a half an hour and we could get gelato. I told him I just had some (which was true - Coconut & deliciously refreshing). He then replied what about coffee. I laughed at that. It's hotter than wasabi over here! I told him thanks again, he took the hint and he went on his way.

Now about the hotel. Based on the price of this hotel & its condition, I'm almost scared to see what a hostel looks like! I can't wait till Jenna sees it. Will take photos. The guy behind the desk, the maid in a see-through outfit, and the janitor fought and bickered at each other while I was waiting for my room. Felt like I was stuck in a comedy for about an hour. All I wanted was water and a shower.

I then took my shower, got dressed and headed out only to realize that I didn't shut the door properly. Yikes! Is this too much info? Are we already bored reading my blog? Based on how much this 20 minute session is, I might learn to keep these shorter :)

Now off to try and find my way back to my hotel. Or perhaps not. I like wandering, especially now that it's a bit cooler out. Already been off the beaten path twice in some neighborhoods. It's fun! Thinking pizza tonight.

Arrivederci!

No comments:

Post a Comment