Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Cata-what?

After my fun washing expedition in the sink with my cute little Tide packets Ang found for me (thank you!) I decided to wander around to get my bearings. Well I then realized I couldn't find the tiny little key the hostel had just given me. After about 20 minutes of searching everything in my possession I couldn't find it. Not a good sign when you lose the key before you even set foot outside the hostel.

I fessed up the loss to the front desk and they gave me a new one. Worst case is if I don't find the other one I don't get my 10 euro deposit back. The Madrid hostels had it right - the first one gave the keys to you on a huge ridiculous lanyard, the second one didn't give you keys at all, and the third gave you this watch type thing that you had to wear. Was actually quite fancy, it buzzed you into your room, the common areas, and even opened your individual locker.

After that I walked to La Rambla - the large walking shopping street that cuts through the city. Frustrated and a bit hungry I wasn't prepared for the hordes of people I encountered. I quickly ducked into the first cafe I saw - Cafe de la Opera right across from the Liceu Opera house. They had seating outside but I needed something a bit less stimulating. The waiter asked me if I wanted a regular or grande cerveza. I replied "grande please" and managed to relax a bit. I had a snack too but nothing to write home about.

I then walked down La Rambla to the Port Vell. Walked across La Rambla de Mar and then looped around all the boats, a shopping mall, the aquarium, a Imax theatre over to the Barceloneta neighborhood. Kept walking along the beach a ways until me feet started getting tired, and then started heading back inland by making a huge loop. It was a good 3 hour stroll. It was quite chilly, and amidst all of us in jackets and scarves, an older gentleman in his birthday suit was casually walking around. He turned quite a few heads.

On the way home I decided I should eat dinner before getting back to the hostel because if I took a nap I wouldn't want to get back up. I went to Organic, a vegetarian restaurant recommended in my guidebook. You serve yourself soup and salad, and then have an option of four entrees (I chose the vegetarian paella and OMG it was delicious.) And I don't use the term OMG. That's how good it was.

There are actually lots of vegetarian restaurants here. I'll continue to eat at traditional places, but I think I'll be happiest if I dine at veggie restaurants instead of getting the one veggie option at a regular restaurant that is usually subpar. I'm going to try and eat some fish while I'm in Barcelona as well, but no promises.

Was happy to realize that it was a short walk back to my hostel from there. During the walk back a guy started talking to me across the tiny little alley street. I answered hello and kept walking, as did he. He then asked me where I was from. I replied and kept walking. He was harmless but I just wasn't in the mood to be nice. I then put my glasses on (that were on top of my head) in hopes that would turn him away. Instead he said "now you look even more beautiful, I like a woman with glasses". Hmmm no luck. I wonder what he would have said if I had whipped out my retainer.

As soon as I got back to the hostel I asked the front desk if anyone found my key. Not yet. I'll turn my bag upside down again tomorrow. Am perplexed.

P.S. I think I'll focus on my mediocre Spanish and not try to tackle Catalan. I can do so much.

1 comment:

  1. I was obsessed with croquettes while i was there- i know they had potato ones. You must eat some!

    ReplyDelete