Friday, April 22, 2011

Montserrat

I decided to take the day trip to Montserrat today for two reasons: 1) weather prediction was rain and 2) I wanted to go there as far away from Easter Sunday & their Holy Day of Our Lady of Montserrat on the 27th. It was crowded enough for me today.

It's an hour train ride to the base of Montserrat from Barcelona. You then either take a suspended gondola or little train up to the top of the mountain where the Benedictine monastery is (founded in 1025 A.D.). I told the vendor guy at the Espanya station in Barcelona that I wanted to go up via the gondola. I got off at the train stop for the gondola, stood in line only to find out that my ticket was for the little train (or cremallera). The two are the same price but you apparently have to specify which one you want to do when you buy the ticket. Which I thought I had. Oh well. My two options were to pay 6 euros and go up the gondola, or wait 30 minutes for the next train to take me the next stop where I would catch the Montserrat cremallera. I decided to do the latter. I felt better that the same exact thing from the same vendor happened to several other people.

As soon as I got to the top I headed for the Basilica where the Escolania de Montserrat sing every day at 1pm. They are one of the oldest boy's choirs in Europe (14th century). Since I was alone I managed to maneuver myself into a spot in the 7th row. It was a short and sweet little performance, glad I saw it. The Basilica was gorgeous and very ornate with gold, the way I like it.

After the choir performance I went to the little museum next door. I love museums that have a clear path where you walk through every room to another room. No concerns of missing something by bypassing a room or two. They had a range or art in there and a few by Picasso, Monet, Degas, and Dali.

I then decided to eat lunch overlooking the cliffs. Followed by a trip on a funicular (new word I learned) to see the Santa Cova. So on the little map it says 'funicular to Santa Cova' and then a '(40 mins)' next to it, so I assumed it was a 40 minute funicular ride. You can imagine my confusion when it stopped after 3 minutes. I then had to walk/hike up and down the cliff side on a path to the Santa Cova. That took 40 minutes. While I much appreciated the mini hike I wasn't mentally prepared for it. Got a little winded, it's true.

The Santa Cova is a 17th century chapel built in the shape of a cross, where La Moreneta (Virgin of Montserrat/black Madonna) was allegedly found. It was a cute little visit. Took some photos.

I was getting a bit tired and decided not to head down the other funicular to trek to Sant Joan and Sant Jeroni. I also decided not to stand in the long line to see La Moreneta. I could see the statue and watch the tourists walk by and take photos of her while the boys were singing.

In the end taking the cremallera was the better option. It's less crowded and on the way back to Barcelona you get picked up first by the train, so I got a seat. And passed out. Win win.

After I got back to Barcelona with my bag in a firm grip I walked to the Mercat de La Boqueria, which is apparently Europe's largest and most dynamic food market. There are 300+ stalls selling everything from fruits & veggies, chocolate, seafood, meats, cheeses, you name it they had it. I picked up a little portion of fruit salad and wandered up La Rambla on a mission.

I brought one pair of pants (jeans) and Barcelona is sadly on the chillier side. With my skirts collecting dust in my bag I decided to try and find a pair of leggings to wear underneath them. Mission accomplished. Will sport that look tomorrow in hopes that I'll be just as warm as in my jeans. Sadly the colder weather here most likely means that I won't get to cross nude beach off my list. Not yet anyway.

Am about to head out for a glass of wine and a croquette or two across the street. I wanted to go there earlier but it was too empty, need to wait for the Spanish to get hungry.

I need a glass of wine after what just happened. A hostel goer put something in the microwave in the common room (there's no kitchen here) and I didn't pay attention to what and forgot about it. After a few minutes an explosion happened so loud I thought something came crashing through the window. Heart. beating. a. bit. fast. She just learned the lesson that eggs explode in the microwave. I'm pretty sure I have egg on my feet.

I'd like to end tonight's entry on a little something I read in my guidebook today about Gaudi:

"Play the violin", the visionary architect Antoni Gaudi once told a client who was distressed to find no place for his piano in the unorthodox form of his La Pedrera apartment."

He was a spicy one. I like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment