Thursday, April 28, 2011

Granada

Yesterday was mainly a travel day with a few things to mention.

The first train from Barcelona to Madrid was a very nice Ave high speed train. I sat next to a very nice businessman. I could barely keep my eyes open. Since I had already done this train trip I felt ok sleeping. I leaned against the window until my neck started hurting, and then put my tray table down and was trying to fluff my little fleece up to make a pillow. That's when the nice businessman tapped my shoulder and when I got up he put his very big and comfy pea coat down to add to my pillow. Who does that?! So nice. I had no shame and used it, and slept like a baby for hours.

I had a little over an hour in the Madrid terminal so I grabbed a little snack and people watched.

Train number two was an Altaria train and not so high speed or fancy. It was clean and all but a bit on the rickety side. So rickety that when the train took a wide turn my seat and the one next to me came off their hinges and rotated almost to a 45 degree angle. The chick next to me and I basically floated the rest of the way to Granada. I had to keep my feet planted and kind of holding on to the floor to keep it from moving. She was no help since she was about 4 feet tall and her feet didn't touch the floor.

I was glad I slept the first train and not the trip from Madrid to Granada because the scenery was so gorgeous and picturesque.

We were supposed to arrive at 9:30pm but for some reason we delayed a few times and ended up arriving after 10pm. I wanted to try and follow the hostel's directions by taking a bus and then walking to the hostel. But for some reason they don't allow check-in after 11pm, even though there is reception all night long. So I didn't want to risk getting lost and not finding the hostel in time. I hopped in a cab.

This hostel (White Nest) is very nice and seems to pride itself in its decor, at least more so than any other hostel. Will take some photos. There are six beds in my room but three of them are empty as of right now. Just me and two guys. I've stayed in five different shared rooms this trip with several roommates coming and going in each. So I guess I've been lucky that this is the first completely brutal snorer I've encountered. The only upside is that he got home at around 6am, so I got a good four hours of sleep beforehand. Brutal even with earplugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment