Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Tapas Bars: 1, 2, 3, siesta.

My last day in Madrid was very pleasant. I did the final neighborhood walk from my guidebook labeled Traditional Madrid. It took me through a few major sites that I had already been to like Puerta del Sol and Plaza Mayor. It then wrapped through La Latina and down the Calle de la Cava Baja which is one of the main tapas bar strips - I´m pretty sure I went here with Corey. Mid-way through the walking tour I detoured to complete it´s tapas tour. I only hit up 3 of the tapas bars cause I couldn´t eat or drink anymore! But each one that I went to was a fun experience and delicious. Especially when the bartender spewed beer all over me (by accident). If it was a bit warmer I probably would have welcomed the spritz.

Speaking of spritz - along with several beers today I enjoyed a ´tinto de verano´ on the Plaza Mayor. It´s kind of like sangria - red wine with lemon soda and a slice of orange & lemon, ´twas refreshing.

While I have enjoyed Madrid I´m getting antsy and excited to get to know Barcelona. Am taking the high-speed train in the morning. Trip is about 3 hours.

P.S. I finally got to use my headlamp last night to read a bit. Was everything I had hoped for. And then some. I also am so happy I bought that overpriced sleeping bag insert. For those that don´t know what I´m talking about, it´s basically a sheet sleeping bag. Anyways, this hostel (which we don´t love) gives you a bottom sheet but no top sheet, and a scratchy, old, & nasty bedspread. Thank heavens for my new purchase.

No comments:

Post a Comment