Thursday, April 14, 2011

Prado not Prada

The mixed dorm has been fine, although I don't know how I feel about the mixed bathroom. Haven't talked to anyone in the hostel yet, besides the quirky guy at the front desk. It's kind of nice actually, to be around people but not having to constantly chit-chat and share your story to everyone.

Speaking of hostels - I thought that since I'm here before high tourist season that I didn't have to worry about making reservations too far in advance. I was wrong. A lot of the hostels are booked for Friday and Saturday nights in both Madrid and Barcelona. So I'm staying at 3 hostels in each city. While I'm bummed I'll have to waste time checking in and out of places, it might be fun to see the hostels and stay in other parts of each city.

All of my roommates (there are 8 of us) went to bed at a reasonable time last night (around midnight). I was somewhat surprised as I assumed that they'd be out until the wee hours doing as the locals do. While I'd love to get that full experience in, I don't want to waste any of my days here sleeping.

To end my day yesterday - after a fabulous siesta I went back to the Plaza Mayor to listen to a swing band (they were setting up when I was there earlier). Was fun to listen to that for a while. Then I went to one of the cafes for dinner that was recommended by one of my guide books. It was on the Plaza de Oriente, so as I sat outside my view was of the Royal Palace and the Opera house. I got the vegetarian sandwich which was interesting - hard-boiled egg, lettuce, green beans, pickles, and mayonnaise. I wanted to get tapas but they were all meat-focused. I hope I'll find a place soon that has veggie friendly ones as well.

This morning I got up bright and early and headed to the Museo del Prado. Spent all morning soaking in the paintings of Velazquez, Goya, Bosch, among tons of others. Was pretty amazing, and exhausting. So to give my legs and mind a rest I went over to the Botanical Gardens next door, walked around a bit and parked myself on a bench and read my novel. Was quite peaceful.

Little fact: The symbol of Madrid is a bear and a madrone tree - it's pretty cute and everywhere.

Now it's time for today's siesta. It's amazing how easy it is to get used to the timezone and local practices. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment