Sunday, May 1, 2011

Vale

The guy above me was snoring last night so I put in my earplugs. Only problem is I slept through my alarm. Didn't hear it at all. But it's ok, I only slept in an hour later than I wanted to.

As I was eating breakfast downstairs it started down-pouring. Hard. So I dilly-dallied a bit trying to wait it out, but it wasn't letting up so I decided to brave it and head outside. Luckily my rainjacket is roomy enough that I can zip it over my little backpack - sporting a hunchback look if you will. After about a minute my jeans were completely drenched. A free wash perhaps. The way this trip is going I'm just happy that my jeans still fit. Although I will admit that as I type this blog entry my button is undone.

I walked to the Reales Alcazares which is a royal palace, originally a Moorish fort. Apparently it is one of the best remaining examples of the mudejar architecture. A lot of the designs and decor reminded me of the Nasrid palace in the Alhambra. I'm scared to admit this because the Alhambra is supposedly the most visited place in Spain - but I was more impressed by the Alcazar Palace. It also helped that there were mallards chilling in the rain, as well as a random squawking peacock.

I got there about an hour after the palace opened and there was no line! Am sure the rain helped. They took my student card and I got in for free, so I splurged on the audio-guide tour. Glad I did. The upper section of the palace is where the royal family still stays when they are in Sevilla. Pretty cool. I would have stayed and read in their beautiful gardens for hours if it wasn't raining.

I then walked the short distance to the Catedral de Sevilla. There was a long line. We all stood in the rain not impressed with mother nature. The guy behind me kept hitting me in the head with his umbrella. The cathedral charges an entrance fee. I had to enter in as an adult, they only give free access to students under 25. Discrimination I tell you. Because of the 8 euro charge I didn't get the audio-guide tour, out of principle. It is a very nice cathedral and huge. My camera battery died mid-cathedral exploration and when I went to change to my other battery that one was also dead. Ugh. It's ok, most photos inside churches and cathedrals don't come out well anyways because of the dark lighting.

I sat inside for quite a while taking in the decor and drying off a bit. I have decided that it might be time to buy a new raincoat. This one wasn't keeping me as dry as I'd like. Apparently they have a shelf-life. I'll keep it for light drizzle type days, but I think I need a new one for days like today and my travels. I also think it's time to get a new camera. A part fell off the other day. I get attached to my things and I don't graduate to better technology until necessary. I think the time to retire my cute little blue Nikon might be fast approaching.

Since I had ran out of batteries I thought it a good time to find some lunch. I went to an Italian restaurant. While I love tapas and snacking all day, I felt like a pasta dish. The restaurant that I chose was quite hopping, had to wait about 20 minutes for a table which was fine. Once I was seated I ordered some delicious soup cause I was cold, and my favorite pasta dish - Arrabbiata. They make it a bit different here, was still scrumptious. Only problem was that the portion was huge - I think it's a family-style restaurant. I knew asking for a box is a no-no, so I tried as best I could. I also took my time, probably my longest lunch by myself ever. Was nice. I didn't want to go back outside just yet!

After I finally did leave the restaurant I started to head home so that I could charge my camera batteries. I strolled into El Corte Ingles to see if I could find a comfy sweatshirt or sweater. It's cold enough that some of the stores have their heaters on, but all the boutiques have spring/summer clothing out so I was hopeful I'd find something in a department store. No such luck. My fleece is warm but I've been wearing it everyday and I'd like something cozy for hostel time, and maybe even to sleep in. While I walked around they were playing the song San Francisco. While I haven't seen many people in SF wearing flowers in their hair - lots of ladies do in Sevilla. I also saw a bunch of women in fancy dresses, shoes & cool old-fashioned hats today. El Corte Ingles also had a whole section of flamenco dresses, similar to the section we'd see in the U.S. of prom dresses. I had no idea it was so common-place here. I thought I'd just see it at the flamenco show.

Anyways, I struck out at El Corte Ingles. Also no luck at Zara, Mango and H&M. I might have to suck it up and sport a "I heart Sevilla" sweatshirt, or a faux University hoodie. Harvard or Baltimore? Desperate times may call for desperate measures.

Speaking of the flamenco show, I picked the tablao I want to go to and headed over there at 5ish to book a ticket for tomorrow. I knew they wouldn't be open yet, but I didn't want to risk hanging out in the hostel. Depending on the day, if I take a siesta I often have a hard time falling asleep at night. So I've been trying to power through today without one. It was still raining so I sat in a bus stop close to the tablao and read my book. I had some nice exchanges with people that way. Kind of fun.

Once I booked my Flamenco ticket for tomorrow I headed home and have been booking hostels and trains for my Canada trip that starts in a little over two weeks!

Random tidbits:
1) Andalucia is not as prideful as Cataluyna is. There aren't Andalucia flags around everywhere like there were Cataluyuna flags in Barcelona.
2) I'm finally acquiring a taste for olives.
3) Every weekend people here are selling branches/twigs outside of churches. I tried looking it up; can anyone enlighten me to the religious significance of that? Am curious.
4) Vale - I thought that people were saying "bale" to mean "OK" or "I understand". I finally asked someone. I was right in what it means, but they aren't saying 'bale' - they are saying 'vale', but it definitely has a b-sound to it.
5) Since it's not customary to tip here, I haven't been. It's been a nice break from math. Map-reading can be challenging enough at times!

No comments:

Post a Comment