Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Montréal

Today was very pleasant. It was nice and sunny with a breeze. Much nicer weather than I was expecting.

I walked down rue Sainte-Catherine, one of the main shopping streets. I remember it from my college days. Lots of strip clubs and sex shops along with pretty much any retail store you can think of. I went into Roots and bought a few things for old times sake.

Strolled through the Quartier des Spectacles, through the Centre-Ville, and had lunch at Second Cup, a coffee shop chain. I tried to go to a quaint little bistro but their kitchen was already closed for the afternoon. I sat outside and read my book, My Sister's Keeper.

I then stumbled across where the Canadiens play (hockey team), by the Cathedral Marie-Reine du Monde which is very pretty, and sat in the Dorchester Square and read a few more chapters. The wind started picking up and I was a bit worried it was going to start to pour, so I got up and started strolling some more. Went through the Quartier International which has a very downtown business/conference center feel, and then through the tiny Quartier Chinois (Chinatown), and back to the Quartier Latin where I'm staying. Along Sainte-Catherine close to where I'm staying they were stringing up streamers with pink bulb-like things. I'll have to find out what that's for. I haven't walked to the St. Lawrence River yet, will definitely do that tomorrow. I wanted to get on one of those bus tours tomorrow because the walking today was probably more than I should have done. I need a new leg. But the bus tours only start in late May and run Thursday-Sunday. Walking it is.

Random story for the day - A businessman came into my personal space while I was taking a photo and started talking to me in French and I told him I didn't understand. He then changed to English and asked me if I wanted to be friends. Not sure how to respond I just smiled. He then said that we should hang out tonight. I politely declined. He asked what about tomorrow night, and came up with this big explanation that we were both alone and that we could keep each other company. He also told me that I could call him whenever I come to his country (Egypt). After a few polite attempts didn't work, I finally had to tell him that I'd rather be alone. At least I didn't say I'd rather eat dirt.

Something I find interesting is that in Ottawa and Montreal and I'm sure it'll be the same in Quebec, everything is translated in French & English. To the point where it is sometimes silly.

For example:
1) Some stop signs squish both "Stop" and "Arrêt" on there.
2) The sign outside Starbucks reads "Café Starbucks Coffee".
3) Some street signs say both "Rue" and "Street" around the name of the street.

I'm sure it's sometimes helpful, but in my humble opinion for things like that it's a bit strange.

1 comment:

  1. Its a Quebec pride thing. You know what the stop signs say in France? "Stop". :). Wish you were home to have a last-Oprah party!

    ReplyDelete