Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Portimão

Last night after I got home and before I started packing I managed to lose my hostel key card. In a matter of an hour, again inside the hostel. I never lose things! Well, it happens rarely. So I sucked it up and paid the 5 euros for that one and got a new one. I mainly needed it because that's how I got into my locker. I don't use lockers unless I have to, when there is not enough space to leave my luggage on the floor. I usually shove my bag under the bed but since this one was on the floor I couldn't do that.

Anyways, I couldn't really sleep because of the snorers. I couldn't use earplugs because then I wouldn't hear my alarm. The room was an L-shape. Two girls from the other side of the room grabbed their linens and pillow and came over and slept on the floor on my side of the L because of the big snoring offender on their side. That's how bad it was. The guy above me then got up at 3:30am to leave, the girls left at 5am, and I got up at 6am. So all in all not a lot of sleep. Luckily I had two seats to myself on the bus (it was rather empty) and I got a bit of shuteye.

In the Sevilla bus station there were two seats free on either side of this guy. I sat down on one of them and quickly realized why they were both empty and people were standing. The guy was asleep and kept swaying to either side and jolting himself back upright before leaning to the other side. I moved once a seat opened up across from him. Then an old man sat where I had just been and I got to witness someone else experience it. I moved my stuff and motioned for the old guy to come sit next to me. We both watched Mr. Bobblehead and giggled together for 10 minutes. It was amusing enough to take a video of him.

At the Spain/Portugal border two cops hopped on the bus and checked everyone's passports.

I don't think Portimão is a very popular stop for tourists. I was the only one that got off the bus at this stop. Portimão has reportedly one of the best beaches but I have a feeling it is more of a day-trip destination. Excited about that fact. There aren't hostels here that I could find so I'm staying at the Made Inn. It's really nice. Granted anything is really nice after three weeks of hostels. It has a funky vibe to it and everything is shiny and smells new. My room has two twin beds, so one of them is my hangout and suitcase station.

I decided to wash my unmentionables in the sink first so they'd have time to dry. Last laundry day, and it's so much easier to do when you have your own room. I then couldn't stop staring at the tub. I showered last night so felt the need to shower when I got here, but the tub looked so inviting. I put on scalding hot water and washed the basin down a bit (even though it looks new and sparkly clean) and then poured in both Made Inn bath gel bottles into it and made myself a nice bubble bath. Wearing sandals all day trekking around your feet can get pretty gross. So it was nice to soak and clean them up a bit. I tell you I feel the cleanest I have in three weeks. While I never would have thought to take a bath in a hotel, I figured it couldn't be worse than some of the beds and showers I've been in.

It's been sprinkling on and off so I haven't felt too bed about chilling in the hotel for a few hours. I'll head out soon to explore, but this and Lagos are my beach/relax stops, so I don't feel too guilty. It's supposedly going to be nice tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment