Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Praia da Rocha

Portimão is a very sleep town at the moment, which is kind of nice and kind of eerie.

I walked around for hours. A lot of 'for sale' and 'for rent' signs that I imagine have to do with the economy. There also seem to be a lot of vacation rentals and apartments that are closed up now, but am sure once high season starts it'll be flocking with people.

I walked along the canal to the Praia da Rocha. I'll probably walk the beach a few times tomorrow. Picked up a shell for my collection, and then wandered back through town towards my hotel. Had some wine at a local cafe before heading home. Watched Portugal's version of the The Price Is Right and then found a news channel that was televising live from The White House. Was glad I could watch a bit of the breaking news...

The language is definitely different here. I've managed to understand a few words here and there. Everyone seems to understand my Portuguese well. Portugal Portuguese is very slurred and mumbled, my best way to describe it. Brasilian Portuguese is much prettier, but of course I'm biased. When I got back to my hotel and asked a question to the woman at the front desk, she literally sat back in her chair in shock that I spoke Portuguese. Was kind of funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment