Monday, August 2, 2010

Cinque Terre

We arrived in Monterosso yesterday and hiked up several stairways to get to Manuel's guesthouse. They weren't kidding about those stairs. Luckily Lorenzo, the man we communicated with about the reservation, heard me huffing and puffing and carried my suitcase the rest of the way.

Our hotel is in the old part of town, which I'm happy about. Our room has a balcony with an amazing view of the ocean. All of those stairs were worth it for the beautiful view.

Jenna and I immediately put on our bathing suits and hit the beach. We had a bit of time before the sunset to take a dip in the Gulf of Genoa. Perfect temperature - cold enough to be refreshing but warm enough to easily get into it. There are no waves, very serene.

I didn't eat fish at dinner yesterday, but I think it is a must while I am here. There are cute cats (who definitely have homes) roaming the dinner tables asking for scraps of fish.

Today we spent all day relaxing on the beach. We rented two chairs and an umbrella and spent literally all day on the beach. The only time we left was to grab paninis and beer to enjoy on the beach.

I bought a little guide of the hikes around the area and scoped out the one I want to do. That is the plan for tomorrow, to hit the trails after breakfast. My goal is to swim in the water at each of the 5 towns. We are staying in Monterosso because it is the only one with a sandy beach. I have a feeling that I'm going to like the quaintness of the rest of them better, but am glad that we are staying here. It is also not as crowded as I was expecting, which is nice.

Off to dinner. Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment