Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The Path of the Gods

Sunday was a holiday, not sure if it was national or local. I decided to take a hike called The Path of the Gods. My plan was to hike from Positano to Praiano. The paths however are not marked at all so I got a little sidetracked, and not sure what percentage of the official path I walked. I hiked for about 6 hours and basically walked along the top of the mountains along the coast. It was AMAZING. I didn't see another hiker - I perhaps was the only crazy one to hike there in the middle of August. It was a nice change and very peaceful, compared to the hordes of other hikers in Cinque Terre. On the path was just me and a whole lot of nature. Lots of fluttering butterflies, scurrying lizards, and one slithering snake that was a bit too large for comfort. Luckily he was just as scared of me.

I made it to Montepertuso and then hiked up to the Buco di Montepertuso. Another tourist told me about what the locals believe about this hole in the mountain - something about Madonna and the Devil getting into an argument. In order to settle it, they had to try and blow a hole into the mountain and whoever created the bigger hole won. Well apparently the Devil went first and created a dent. Then Madonna of Positano actually created a hole, that the locals now apparently have a festival around, go up and pray to it etc. Need to do some more research on that.

Then I got back on the trail and noticed I was heading away from the water. No idea where I went, but it was a little set of buildings with people but no real roads. So I backtracked and found another trail. The heat and humidity started to get to me so I headed back down and somehow made it to Positano. I then had dinner by the beach and watched the locals setting up for the big festival. Watched a band play outside of the church, little kids running around with glittery hats, butterfly wings, balloons, and glow in the dark bracelets. Fireworks were set to go off at midnight. They were practicing with those pretty much all day. I had to get to bed early though, to start heading south to Sicily at 5:30am, so I missed that action. When I got up to leave, 6 of my roommates weren't even home yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment