Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Pompei

On Saturday I headed out to Pompei. I walked around the ruins for about 6 hours. I had a morbid fascination with taking photos of the ruins with Mt. Vesuvius (its destroyer) in the background. My Italy book strongly recommended that you buy the guide to the site book in the bookstore at the entrace. I hesitated as I didn't want to spend the money, but so glad I did. It had photos and descriptions of everything that you are looking at. People actually hovered around me to look at my book with me.

It was extremely hot and you had to step into the remains of houses for some shade. While I know some people probably weren't prepared and didn't bring water or snacks, it was a shame to see food vendors there. I also wanted to smack the parents that were allowing their kids to climb on the ruins.

Overall it was a great day, very nice and peaceful to walk around by myself. While I enjoyed the company of my new friends, it was nice to be back on my own for the day.

While walking around a guard that was patrolling the area whistled at me to head down this little desolate alley. I was skeptical, but he said there was a very beautiful house at the end that is not marked or on the map. I looked down the alley, looked back at him. Looked at his badge and official looking outfit. Looked at my map. Looked back at him. Looked back at the alley and the fact that no one else was around and decided to go for it. If he followed me and was creepy I had my pepper spray that Ang gave me. It was an amazing house with lots of murals on the wall. Glad I trusted him. By the time I got back out of it he was nowhere in sight.

I then took the train back to Sorrento, walked around that town for a bit. It was starting to get dark, so I hopped on the bus back Positano and had dinner with Vicki (the British woman that I went to Capri with).

No comments:

Post a Comment