Thursday, August 5, 2010

Milan

We got up really early to catch the 5:17am train to Milan this morning. Once we arrived Jenna headed off to the airport while I headed to my hostel. The Zebra hostel.

It was a good day, although it rained the entire time. It is still raining. But since it was my only day allocated for Milan, I headed to the sites anyways and accepted the fact that I'd just be cold and wet all day.

First I went to the Duomo, Italy's 2nd largest church. Very cool to see. I was glad to see that it was open as that was my first escape from the heavy rain. I walked around inside quite a bit, because it was very cool in there and because I wanted to dry out a bit more.

Then I stumbled upon the Galleria Vittorio Emanuele, a covered mall that has an outdoor feel. I was trying to make my way to the Chiesa di Santa Maria Delle Grazie, the church that houses Leonardo da Vinci's Last Supper. I knew that it would be a stretch to be able to see that, but since I assumed my itinerary would be changing I didn't want to book a ticket in advance. Once I found it and walked in all excited, disappointment splashed over my face when I saw the sign that said "Sold out for the next 2 weeks". I stared at the sign for a while, and gave envious evil glares at the people pulling out their reservation slips. A few minutes later (which felt like forever), I pulled out my Italy book to see what else I could see around the area. Thats when a lovely woman sauntered over and asked if I was looking for a ticket. She had an extra! For the showing in 20 minutes! Luck of the pigeons I tell you. Bought the ticket from her immediately and was all excited again. They only allow max 25 people in at a time, and for ony 15 minutes. Quite intense, you walk through several chambers to keep the air pure before you get let in.

After that wonderful experience, I had some lunch and then wandered to the fashion district - the Quadrilatero d'Oro. It was a fun day with lots of little surprises that I stumbled upon since the only plan was the duomo and the Last Supper.

Lake Como is the plan for tomorrow. Will see if George has time for tea.

1 comment:

  1. Yay!!! What a great day! I was sad to have to leave you on such a gray, gloomy, crap-weather day. Sooo glad the pigeon-shit landed on you so many times! You've still got some more luck in the account, by my estimation. ;)

    Give George my love!

    ReplyDelete