Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Octopus & Squid Pasta

So, I was completely content with my late lunch and my apple for dinner. I sat at the hostel bar with a beer and my book. And somehow ended up at a dinner table of strangers, all travelling by themselves. There were three Dutch, a Korean, a Brit, and a Portuguese. Ages ranged from 20-69. Not sure how it happened, but it was a lovely unexpected dinner.

Once I accepted and sat down I was a bit mortified to see a pasta dish full of octopus & squid. What to do. I'm pretty sure I am allergic to shellfish. Well, with everyone there and feeling the sweet hospitality of these other hostel goers, I had to just eat it and see what happens. So far so good. The thought makes me nervous, but I think it is all in my head. The guy from Korea was the chef, he left his family to spend 3 months in Sicily eating and cooking, as he is going to open an Italian restaurant once he gets back. Which reminds me, one of my regrets while here is not taking a cooking class. Next time perhaps.

2 comments:

  1. Even though squid & octopus isn't shellfish, I always lumped them together. Maybe cause I used it as an excuse to not have to eat it? But I did secretly somewhat enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I was just about to write that when i opened the comments and saw your post :). Glad you didn't feel sick! I'd be a little nervous...too :)

    ReplyDelete