Sunday, August 22, 2010

The Last Supper

Train to Rome from Salerno was not only on schedule, it was early. The air conditioning even worked, was a very fancy trip. So happy that my last day was in Rome. Once I dropped my stuff off at the Fawlty Towers hostel, I walked to the Spanish Steps, then walked down Corso and did some shopping. Bought a few scarves, which felt weird to do in this blistering heat but they will be very useful in SF. Strolled past the Pantheon, enjoyed the music in Piazza Navona. Actually the same band that I enjoyed weeks ago, so I bought their cd. Then I settled into a restaurant on a side alley from Piazza Navona.

Since it was my last supper, I decided to not eat all day. All I had was a piece of fruit, so that I could actually eat officially tonight by having the primo and secondi courses (I normally could only handle the primo). I didn't order an appetizer though, so it probably was not completely legit. My primo was Spaghetti Pomodoro, followed by my secondi of Melanzane Alla Parmigiana (Eggplant Parmesan), and then my cotorni (side dish) was Zuppa di Fagioli (bean soup). Enjoyed all of that with two glasses of Chianti. I ate at an odd time, it was a late lunch or early dinner, so I was one of very few eating. Which allowed me to become buds with the waiters Alberto & Pino. They were waiters but really should be comedians. They were sad when I asked for the check, so poured me another glass of wine on them, which I did not need but drank anyways. Pino offered to take me around Rome on his Vespa if I waited until he got off work. I sadly told him that I had to get to bed early because of my flight, but that would have been fun! Then I strolled to the Fontana di Trevi to have a gelato and enjoy the fountain from dusk to dark. Was really nice.

While I know it will be nice to be home, I am surprisingly a bit emotional to leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment