Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Venice to Rome

Yesterday was a nice last day in Venice. A few dinners ago I ordered a caraffe of wine that was way too small. So at lunch on my last day there were two caraffes listed with two prices, no mention of size. So with the past experience I ordered the more expensive one, assuming it'd be the perfect amount. It was a liter. Fun how all of the tables turned and looked at me sitting by myself when that was delivered. Oh boy. So to take it like a champ I didn't say anything to the waiter. Two British sisters (mid-40s) turned around and said "girl after our own heart". That's when I noticed they had the exact same pitcher of house white wine emptied, so I asked them if they wanted to help me out. They did and we had a fun conversation. They talked up England a whole lot and said I must get there someday, to the small towns (not just London). And then we talked a lot about traveling alone and how impressed they were that I could do it. So I gave them both an assignment for when they get back home - go to a meal by themselves. One sister said she was up for the challenge. The other one had her doubts, wanted her sister to do it first and tell her about it. It was fun to sit there at my age telling them that it's a life experience they must try.

Anyways, needless to say after lunch I went back to my hostel and took a nap. Then woke up for a fun last night out.

I decided to spend the night in Rome tonight because the hostel that I booked in Positano didn't have availability, and well we all know how much I love Rome. So will get up bright and early to head south.

On the train to Rome from Venice I sat across the aisle from a nice Australian who just finished college, bought a one-way ticket to Europe and hasn't decided yet where she will land to look for a job. Maybe Spain. How fun. Anyways, she made herself a sandwich on the train, and then handed me the fixings to make myself one. So nice. Then she finished her book (Lolita) and asked if I wanted to take it with me. Perfect because I am most likely not going to have a book for the plane ride home at the rate I am reading. Not that I need to make my suitcase any heavier. I have bruises on my legs from hoisting the suitcase up and down stairs. Next time either way smaller suitcase or backpack. And lifting weights when I get home.

So I'm sitting in Rome at my favorite internet point. Favorite because of the extremely good looking guy that works here. He's sadly not here, must be on vacation. Still conveniently close to my hostel and a few of the sites that I want to revisit tonight.

One thing I've been meaning to include in my blog is that everywhere I have been in Italy, guys on the street ask you to sign a petition "against drugs". No idea if that is what they are actually trying to get people to sign. At first I would reply with "no thanks", which then cleverly moved to the lie "I already did!" to now the annoyed they keep asking response of "But I like drugs". Oh if only I could snap a photo of their reactions. Pretty funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment