Thursday, August 19, 2010

Fontane Bianche

I spent yesterday sunbathing and swimming at Fontane Bianche, a quick bus ride south of Siracusa. A beautiful sandy beach and bright blue water.

I noticed a few people covered in what looked like really thick white sunscreen. They were laughing and taking photos of each other. I just thought - strange Italians.

But then I saw more and more people walking by me with this weird stuff on. Then I remembered the name of the beach that I was on - Fontane Bianche. So I walked down what felt like the rabbit hole to see where they were coming from. There were tons of people on the end of the beach standing in the water smearing this substance from the rocks on their bodies. I tried looking it up quickly but didn't really find an explanation. I asked the owner of the hostel who is the bartender at night, and he said its some sort of soapstone that is a good exfoliant. Kind of cool. I was hesitant to do that though and rub all my sunscreen off. These last few days have been HOT. My guide book calls Siracusa a "cauldron in the summer".

No comments:

Post a Comment