Monday, August 9, 2010

Untitled

Without a job to worry about and really without a care in the world, this wonderful country definitely has me walking around in rosy colored glasses.

Keeping me grounded is my current novel that I am loving - White Oleander. Those of you who have read it know what I mean. It's a really good intense story.

I headed out today with the intention of walking straight to the vaporetto (waterbus) stop that would take me the Murano. Well there is no walking straight in Venice. I got lost. And then had to go to the bathroom. So I stopped at a cafe, ordered a drink and used the bathroom. Then someone started playing the piano, which made me not want to leave. So I ordered another drink and a snack. That's when a local noticed that I was alone and sat right down at my table outside. He was very nice, just retired and looking for someone to listen to him. He told me I'd make a great therapist. Was cute. Then when I told him where I was headed and asked how to get there, he offered to walk me there (which was much appreciated!). We strolled and he gave me lots of Venice history along the way.

The locals here that don't interact with the tourists via their job (ie work at a hotel, store, restaurant) are definitely the nicest. They seem to seek out the interaction. It makes me think about being back in San Francisco, avoiding the tourists at all costs, never wanting to talk to them. Am I a bad person? Perhaps. Although I do enjoy helping them out when they look lost map in hand.

The trip has also made me appreciate and rekindle my map reading skills (or realize the lack of those skills). It's actually nice to be without my smartphone and google maps readily available.

One thing I keep thinking about while in Venice is how I want to watch The Italian Job when I get home.

Murano was nice, spent most of my day there. It is an island a short waterbus ride away, full of glass factories and shops. I got to see a short demo. Most of the glass factories are closed in August because it is too hot for them to work (and they are all on vacation). This heat is nothing compared to Rome heat. It is quite pleasant here. I do miss being able to swim though, looking forward to swimming on the Amalfi coast in a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment