Sunday, August 1, 2010

I used to like pigeons...

Yesterday was a fun day (& it didn't rain!). We took a bus to Siena, a beautiful drive through what you picture of the Tuscan countryside. The bus is more convenient because it drops you off in the center of town, instead of having to hike up the hill or take a bus from the train station. We couldn't find the tourist office, so we walked towards what we thought was the center of town. We made it to the Piazza del Campo, a scallop shaped piazza. I could picture what it would be like with crowds of people watching the Palio. Maybe someday I'll plan my trip around that. We had a beer and enjoyed watching a bride and groom getting ready for their big day.

Next we headed over to check out the Sienese Duomo, which has a very unique Gothic style. After taking a few photos close to it, we decided to move to the edge of I think a museum, sit on a stone bench connected to the building, and gaze at the Duomo from a distance. This is where the title of this post comes in. Jenna set her sunglasses on the bench. She looked down at one point and saw a little warning shot of pigeon poop. We both chuckled and were relieved it didn't hit us, since the glasses were right between us. Since lightning doesn't strike in the same place twice, I didn't feel the need to hop up right away. Well, that's when I took a look at my jacket and screamed. I got the bulk of it. Damn pigeons!

Then we headed back to the Scallop Piazza and strategically picked a place for dinner that had a cheese plate appetizer. So good.

We wandered back to the bus and waited for a bit before we realized that we had read the schedule wrong. So we had to take the train back to Florence, which took a bit longer but all in all a great night.

Heading to Cinque Terre today. Am very excited about all of the hiking, ocean views, and laying in the sun we are about to do. And of course I'm excited to yell 'Manuel!'

No comments:

Post a Comment